The Scarborough Campus’ Union Reform (SCU Reform) is a student movement at the University of Toronto Scarborough that seeks to realign the social politics, economics, and the cultural agenda of the Scarborough Campus’ Students Union and bring it closer to our student body’s ideals.
We are a collective of students from every single discipline on campus who strongly believe that SCSU should:
1) Follow our Constitution and Bylaws that we pay to support (~$1,107,000/year);
2) Be Transparent and Accessible about EVERYTHING;
3) Have Tangible and Realistic Expectations for our SCSU;
4) To Promote Academic Excellence by creating opportunities for students and campus groups, rather than making anti-academic remarks in the name of equity;
5) Respect, Defend, and Uphold our Canadian Fundamental Freedoms: namely, Freedom of conscience and religion; Freedom of thought, belief, opinion, and expression; freedom of peaceful assembly; and freedom of association;
6) Pursue policies and campaigns that Democratically Engage the entirety of the student body in making decisions concerning the SCSU;
7) Protect our Union’s Autonomy from external organizations like the Canadian Federation of Students;
8) Ensure that our Union stays Non-Partisan and only supports campaigns and initiatives initiated by our student body here at UTSC;
9) Hold Executives and Departmental Directors Accountable for their blatant violations of our constitution and bylaws;
10) The SCSU should NOT be a place to simply buff up Personal Resumes, CVs, or CCRs;
11) Put an End to the Popularity-Contests, the Petty Identity Politics (PIP), and the Friends-Only culture, but instead promote a responsible academic-workplace environment that empowers ALL students;
12) STOP MAKING US UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO STUDENTS AND ALUMNI LOOK BAD!
Successful democratic organizations require prevailing opposition groups that hold those in power accountable for their transgressions; We are a manifestation of this invaluable principle here at UTSC!
We are NOT a Revolutionary Movement. We believe in Reformation through reason and justice.
We are NOT interested in ending or defuncting the SCSU, nor do we think that the efforts of our brilliant UTSC students should be tainted with petty identity politics and never-ending controversy.
We are NOT a political organization, nor do we have any political agenda independent from that outlined in our current SCSU Constitution and Bylaws. The "left" and the "right" are useless categories and dimensions to capture our academic imaginations.
We are NOT against any individuals currently elected or hired at the SCSU.
We are NOT involved in violence, nor anything that violates the Student Code of Conduct established by the University of Toronto Governing Council.
We are NOT responsible for what those who feel passionately about our Union say to fellow members; everyone in a democratic organization speaks on their own behalf with their granted Freedom of Speech, and we support ALL speech which challenges ALL ideas and ideologies.
The SCSU as an organization is OURS, and WE will critique it when it does not serve our interests.